Sunday, March 6, 2016

Class Cloud
By Mikala Lindhardt

I am not a big twitter user, but this past week I used it more than I have in my entire life combined. I probably “favorited” and “commented” more than I thought I ever would.
            In my social media class we had what is called ‘a day on the cloud’. This is where we learned to link out to other professionals or famous people if we felt necessary to get them involved in a class discussion using a certain hashtag. The hashtag we used was #socmeddiscuss.
            We began seven days prior to our class to ask any question we wanted about social media and get as many people involved.
I personally learned a lot that day about how twitter works. I knew about hashtagging and how when you use a hashtag it will automatically link you to the same hashtags. I learned the importance of tagging people and networking through Twitter through handles and hashtags. 
There were two things that happened that day I thought were noteworthy for my summary. There was a question posed a classmate about what social media platform would be best for promoting a business. I currently know two friends who are over the social media pages in their companies, and they had Twitter account, so I linked them to the conversation. Both of them responded within that hour. Their replies can be found here.  
I also know a KSL News anchor pretty well and tagged him in a question about the importance of social media as a new anchor. According to his post the news and a lot of what is talked about on the news comes from social media. Not only that, but with social media they are able to get stories out to the public and published quicker. This allows for more information to spread to more people. IF you are trying to get a lot of people aware of something in a short amount of time, social media is a great way to go. News organizations have really caught onto that.



Having Sam Penrod from KSL chime in our discussion and tag me in the tweet was awesome! I have never done anything like that before and it was neat for me to see it actually work. Although I had high hopes from my very first tweet of having Ellen Degeneres comment, I was happy I got a few responses from my friends and from a news anchor.
    


Just as a side note, I even tagged KUTV2NEWS and KSL. Just as a shout out to KSL, they responded first and quickest.

No comments:

Post a Comment